Wednesday, February 6, 2013

It's the 1960's. I am at table in the Catskills, surrounded by my big Jewish family. The waiter asks me what I would like..I answer "The roast beef, rare please". The table explodes in laughter..
What 4 year old, says that? This one does.

Every since I can remember, my relationship with food has been different than most people's.
My childhood is marked by memories of food. some are good, and some are bad.
My grandmother's cooking, my mother's concern about eating, and my father's obsessive love for food have all played a part in how I feel about food and eating it.
My search for something delicious at all times, started then and has never ended.

I have struggled with my weight my whole life. I have been very fat, and I have been perfectly normal.
I have never stopped wanting to eat. It is a challenge every day. In my dream world, you can eat what ever you want and not gain weight. Just like that Albert Brooks movie. But that is just a dream.

I am the point in my life, where I don't want to be overweight, ever again.
I have learned to eat healthy and still have days where I can eat something delicious.
I live in amazing city with so many great places to eat.
I work in a industry, where you are wined and dined weekly. It's tough.

I have decided to write about my experiences with food, and share my stories about great meals.
I also want to share my struggles, and how hard it is to keep it under control.

This a food obsessed society, I am one of many.
Here we go..

When I was kid, I stayed with my grandparents every weekend.
My grandmother was about 5'0 tall and about 180 lbs.
Calories were not an issue, which meant they weren't an issue for me.
I could take a break from the Tab and Fig Newtons, I got at home

Once a month, Grandma had the ladies over for Mah Jong.
To say I was excited about this is an understatement, it meant the spread was coming out!
Plates of lox, bagels and cream cheese layered the Mah Jong table.
Delicious homemade tuna salad, egg salad and rolls, some of Ida's brownies.
"Come mamala eat something"..Oh I did. I still smile, when I think about those nights.
I was still to young to realize, being fat was bad. I could eat with abandon.

I knew then, that the way I felt about food, was different than most kids.
Spagehtti O's, no thanks. PB and J, I'll pass.
A big fat NY bagel smothered in scallion cream cheese and lox, yes please.

This is one many stories I want to write about.
Hope there is someone out there, who can relate, or at least enjoy reading this!

Till next time,











2 comments:

  1. Nice job Coach! I will look forward to the new entries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great debut post, now I want a toaste bagel with lox all the way.

    ReplyDelete