Friday, February 8, 2013

Another "restaurant week" is coming to a close here in Chicago.
What is "restaurant week" you ask? For 10 days more than 250 restaurants in our amazing city offer price fixe lunch and dinner at discount prices.
If I could, I would eat lunch and dinner for all 10 days, but my wallet and waistline will not allow.
So, I settled for 2 lunches and 2 dinners. Today, I had my last meal of the 4.
To be honest, it was the only 1 of the 4 that I truly enjoyed.

Which lead to me to some thoughts..

Most restaurants, do not put their best foot forward. They offer the least expensive and probably least ordered dishes. Most of the meals I had, there were 1 or 2 standouts at best. The rest was mediocre.
And let's be honest, after the diet cokes, coffees and "special desserts", it's not such a deal.

Why are we so obsessed with going to these restaurants and participating in this ritual?
Why? Because we love to eat! It's just an excuse to show off our fancy palettes and say we have been to..fill in the blanks. Deep down, we just love to eat, and it's a great excuse.

Last night my fellow foodie and I experienced some new things. Potato ice cream, Pig tails and grilled cheese for dessert. Did we like it? Not so much. We both wanted to know where the salt was..

Today at lunch, we had a great waiter. We discussed restaurant week with him.
He kinda hinted that "restaurant week" started in New York, and maybe that's where it belonged.
Now, you know that I agree with that, don't be mad.

But I will stick up for Chi-town. When I moved here, it was Gibsons, Spaggio and Trotter's.
How far we have come. This is a world class food city. The highest rated restaurant int he U.S. is here in Chicago. So props Chicago, you do not disappoint. but at the end of the day, do we need "Restaurant Week"?

All we want here in Chicago, is to eat.
It could be a special night out at fancy place, or just good tater tots and chicken fingers.
I am okay with the latter.

Til next time,








No comments:

Post a Comment